Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, December 28, 2009

Monday, Dec 28, 2009

Good morning everybody, I hope you all had a good Christmas weekend and that the rest of the week is a good one. I know people are not done traveling around for the year so I hope the roads stay clear and everyone is safe for the rest of the time.

I normally do not address entertainment news on this blog. I have another one that I do not write on anymore where I tried to cover stuff like that back when I was unemployed. Needless to say now that I am working full time it is hard for me to be active on this one everyday though I try my hardest to keep it up. But, back to the matter at hand, I heard this morning on the radio that Hollywood is planning on remaking 'The Rockford Files' and I just do not know what to think. Well I know what my first reaction is and that is "How dare they?" In fact I was a little surprised at the intensity of my response.

In this particular case if I am understanding what I heard correctly they are remaking this as another television show. I think I would almost prefer a movie better. I enjoyed the film versions of both 'Starsky and Hutch' as well as 'The Brady Bunch'. But those were both played pretty heavy for the ironical comedy value and I do not see 'Rockford Files' making that work. Though my friends who also grew up with and love the show can get each other laughing pretty good talking about the show and bringing up things we remember about it. For me, one of the things I remember the most is an particular episode where some kind of tough guy was chasing Jim down and he ran into a bathroom. Now it was pretty common for Rockford to get knocked out or beaten up. That seemed to be a running joke on the show. But, in this case, Jim had a trick up his sleeve. He spread some liquid soap on the floor and then took roll of coins out of his pocket. Well the hoodlum came in and as he slipped on the soap Jim just cold-cocked him. The roll of coins blew up and Jim took off. I remember laughing and I still laugh thinking about it.

I think a main reason why the idea of a remake bothers me is that other then John Wayne there is not another actor that I enjoy watching like James Garner. I love him in the old 'Mavrick' series as well as his work in 'Support Your Local Sheriff'. I almost forgot to mention 'The Great Escape'. I think it is because as a child every time I turned on the television it felt like he was there. He is one of the last remaining old time actors and I think in some way George Clooney reminds me of him. I think they are different kinds of actors but they both have a certain likability.

Well my post took a strange turn today but that happens sometimes. I hope you all enjoyed a little trip down memory lane. If you get a chance this week watch a film or television show with James Garner. You will not regret it. Do not watch 'Tank' you will regret that but watch a different one.

3 comments:

JoelAT said...

You have got to be kidding me. I can just see it, Rockford has a son and he is continuing on with the business, Rockford becomes rocky to his son, and is always in the way, causing problems and getting in trouble.

You cannot remake these old shows, no one can hold a candle to Stephen J Cannell, the man put out a lot of good stuff in the 70's and 80's. He reminds me of that guy on the Dos Equis most interesting man in the world, and without someone like that, you just cannot redo the original.

Christopher Taylor said...

I agree, Garner is just a terrific old time actor and I miss his work, but its always a pleasure to see something he's done.

I just can't see anyone doing that series well now - who'd fill Garner's shoes?

Van Harvey said...

Hey something we agree on!
The Rockford Files, and anything with James Garner, BIG thumbs up.

Personally, I hated the "Starsky and Hutch" remake... and I can't think of any remake I've thought worth the time spent to watch them. If you want to see an example of why and how things have changed for the worse, watch the original and remake of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" back to back.

Very depressing.

Oh... one remake exception, Battlestar Gallactica... I didn't discover it until late last year, but wound up watching till the end then renting the DVD's and watching from the beginning. Best writing and acting to be found, TV or Movies. Does what Sci-Fi does best, uses trappings of technology to be able to ignore the technology and examine what makes us Human and what is, and is not, worthy of us.