Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuesday, Dec 15th, 2009

I am writing from the office this morning. I drove in which was probably a mistake but I made the choice to drive in my car and deal with the headache of traffic as opposed to taking the train and walking two blocks in the rain. I probably should have walked in the rain. It isn't like I do not have a rain coat or anything. Also having grown up in Oregon I am very aware that rain does not make you melt. So I think I opted for the mental stress of driving in the rain as opposed to the minor physical stress of walking in the rain. I think that is pretty lame on my part. I am going to have to try to get back on track. (hee,hee) Excuse me for a moment I believe my tasty, tasty coffee from Stumptown has finished brewing.

Ahhh. There we go. I know I have told you before about how much I love coffee so I will not bore you with the details. But just know that as I type it is coursing through my body and filling me its power!!! Though today the power does not mean a whole lot. I have lots of bits and pieces popping around in my brain but nothing that I can get focused on enough to write anything coherently about.

One thing I read about last night was about Mormons running for political office and the article talked both about Mitt Romney and Glenn Beck. I found it pretty interesting as it addressed also the amount of Mormons that work for the federal government in foreign service positions. It seems that the CIA recruits regularly at Brigham Young University (BYU) because their graduates fill a couple of different criteria. One being that they speak a foreign language and the other a college degree. This happens so regularly in fact that some countries have expressed concern about people returning to the country in foreign service positions after first being there as missionaries. So I found that a little bit fascinating but I try to not mix religion and politics. Though it is often hard to not.

What else? Oh yes... it seems that Glenn Beck has once again opened his mouth and inserted his foot. He compared his skepticism about climate-change to Galileo's struggle “to enlighten mankind that the earth wasn’t flat.” I have a couple of problems with this. The first being that Glenn Beck is in no way like Galileo. I am not even sure why he thinks he can justify thinking of himself this way. The other is that during Galileo's time everyone already knew the earth was round. To put it as simply as possible Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492. Galileo lived in 1564-1642 so I just have to wonder does he even write anything beforehand or is it all off the cuff. Because it isn't like this is the first time he has gotten basic history wrong. Just one example is his often misquoting of President Theodore Roosevelt and his famous line "speak softly, and carry a big stick" when Beck repeats it he says "Walk softly and carry a big stick".

Now I realize everybody makes mistakes. I do it often and I often will use a word incorrectly in a sentence hoping for a laugh or because I just was not taking the time to think before I spoke. The difference between myself and Mr Beck is that I do not have millions and I think it is millions of listeners an watchers and readers hanging on my every word. I do not have people repeating what I say like it is the gospel. I would like to think that if I was ever in that position I would have a team of researchers as well as some editors to help me make sure everything that I was saying on the air and writing in a speech or in a book was correct. Otherwise why would I do it?

I would hope that if his dog and pony show continues that he would spend some time on fact checking and getting things correct. Because as far as I am concerned he just seems like another entertainment personality and will most likely end up hosting Family Feud in another 20 years or so. But I could be wrong. Perhaps it is going to be Palin-Beck in 2012 or Beck-Palin. If so the world should be an interesting place.

5 comments:

Christopher Taylor said...

I think if you're going on public record you have to be more careful about quotes and being accurate. I mess up on my blog sometimes, and while its humiliating to have someone correct me, its better than having something wrong up there.

Unknown said...

Ya that is it exactly. He is on national television and radio. I would think that Beck owes it to his listeners and fans to get things right. He makes it way to easy for me to make fun of him.

Christopher Taylor said...

I generally like what Beck has to say, like Palin, but they both seem a bit out of their depth on the national stage. The problem is they only way to get better at it ... is to keep doing it.

Van Harvey said...

Not sure why the interest... but since you only mentioned the right, did it mention anything about Harry Reid being a Mormon?

Interesting that you should pick those 'facts' out for concern and criticism, but nothing for the content of the day? I've no idea what it was, but more than likely had something to do with avowed communists, maoists, marxists, etc, having high positions of influence in the government. I agree that someone speaking to millions should be more careful... but given Beck's... er... style... I won't hold my breath on that, and will expect frequent slip ups... annoying but of no real consequence.

The substance of what he has to say however, that's another story, and I don't see the left answering or rebutting him - ridiculing him, insulting him (and those same millions of viewers)... but answering the charges?

Nope.

I wonder why....

Unknown said...

Is Harry Reid a Mormon? I did not know that. That is interesting to me.

I also often wonder why the left does not take the time to directly confront or refute Beck and his ideas. In some cases I am sure it is because they are unable to. In others it may be because they do not want to feed a troll.