Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, July 27, 2009

"Train" in Vain

It is Monday on what is supposed to be the hottest day of the year. I am thankful that the air conditioning seems to be working in the train. There are some new faces this morning. A youngish Hispanic gentleman in a blue pinstripe suit. He is wearing matching blue and black striped socks. I wish I had a camera to show you. I am finding it almost impossible to describe. It isn't that he looks bad it is just pretty wild.

The doors have closed and off we go with a toot toot from the horn. It is funny but the noise brings a smile to my face. I wonder if I am feeling like a kid again I do not think I was fascinated with trains or anything but this whole trip is something that I enjoy. The conversation around me is bouncing from the heat to who had the tightest shorts in highschool in the 70's the boys basketball team or the girls volleyball team.

Oooh a switch to the idea of socks and sandals and whether or not Birkenstocks are worth the money. The lady that I talk to usually is now giving the train man her cell phone so he can call her if the train is delayed. There is some concern it seems about if the heat will make the switches stick.

Today is the beginning of the campaign and circulaters should hit the streets by Tuesday. I am looking forward to seeing this process and I hope that we are successful in getting this to the voters. It is interesting for me in that I understand the cost and the stress that special elections like this cost. I think this process is what makes Oregon special. We were the first state to choose this method and I think it works for us. Only time will tell if this is going to translate into a career for me but I hope that it does.

No comments: