Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

U Tuesday

There are bands that I have listened to so much in my life that I go through phases where I just do not want to listen to them. U2 is one of those bands. It isn't that I dislike them, though I admit to not being a big fan of their work post Joshua Tree. But tonight for some reason as I sit at the Coffeehouse and drink my Hairbender and watch the rain fall it just seems like the perfect time to relisten to and revisit Joshua Tree.



U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name

There is not much to say about this song other then that I love it. The majestic organ chords and the guitar that opens the song just allow the whole experience to be very nearly worshipful. In fact if I were to let myself go I can tell that I could easily be weeping right now. Such a powerful song.



U2 - With Or Without You

This is another one where the intro just builds so nicely and when Bono's voice joins in there is a smoothness to it that is almost soothing to the ear and the psyche. "You gave it all. But, I want more." Who has not felt this way about someone they loved?


U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky

This song is almost a shock after the last one. There is almost a siren like sound to it's opening and then later in the song their are actual sirens and what the lyrics are describing leaves you as unsettled as the audio of the song does. But I think it is being unsettled in a good way. It is a political and a theological song and Bono is pretty clear about where he stands on the politics of America and a good chunk of the 1st world.


U2 - Red Hill Mining Town

This song starts with some lovely slide guitar and it just continues to the song the rasp of the guitar blending beautifully with the drum and the chug of the rhythm guitar and the screech of Bono's voice. "I can lose myself, you I can't live without."  There is a depth and a truth to that statement and while some may dismiss it as pop philosophy I do not. "I'm hanging on, you're all thats left to hold on to" There is truth and pain in that line and right now, for me, that is a good pain as I process the last 5 months and really the last nearly four years.



U2 - Trip Through Your Wires

I love, love the opening drums and the harmonica in this song. It reminds of several Doors songs actually and I mean that in a good way.


U2 - Exit

I am not sure about this song, because there are parts of it that I do not care for but at the same time I really do love it. There is just something about it that I really like.

I realize that I did not cover every song on this album. But I do not think that I need to. I really do not think that there is a bad song on this. I can sit and just listen to the whole thing in one sitting and not regret it at all. I am honestly sorry that I had let so much time pass between listening but perhaps that just makes my enjoyment even better. Do yourselves a favor and dig it out and give it another listen. You will not regret it.



Unlike Roger Sterling you will feel something. 

No comments: