Where Do My Readers Come From?

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thursday...

I am sitting here trying to fire up the energy to get really indigent about something. But, I am just not feeling it today. I have no reason that I can think of to unleash my rapier like wit on anyone or anything around me. I have a job interview tomorrow at 1:30 so hopefully that will result in some gainful employment. Things are beginning to get a little tight and even with my parents help there is an added level of stress to everything that is not beneficial at all for me.

One of the few benefits of being unemployed is that I have the time to do some reading. I like that, mainly, because I enjoy reading. I always have. There is just something about holding a book in your hands and feeling the weight of it and the smell as you turn the pages and escape, however briefly, into whatever world the book your reading exists in. I recently just finished Patrick Rothfuss 'The Name Of The Wind' it is basically a fantasy novel but is written as if the hero of the tale is telling the story if his life to a scribe. I think that is a pretty cool concept and not one that I remember seeing before. It is the first book in a series called The Kingkiller Chronicle. I have not started the second book but I am looking forward to doing so.

I decided to take a break from the world of that book, to read 'The Life of Pi' by Yann Martel. I have not seen the movie so what happened in the book was a total surprise to me. I really liked it. It was not an easy book to read on an emotional level but it was lovely and heart breaking and made me think. Those are things that I really like in a book. I highly recommend it.

I just started a book by Neal Stephenson called 'REAMDE'. This is not a typo. I am not sure fully why he decided to call it that. But anyone who has read Stephenson, knows that while he has his reasons for things they do not always make sense to the rest of us. My issues with the title aside. I am enjoying the book so far. But I am just 20 or so pages in. I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Thus ends my look at literature. I hope I gave you some new ideas for reading. 

2 comments:

Megan Jensen said...

Are you wanting to be "indigent" or "indignant"? Cuz they're kinda to very different things...but besides hassling you, I am posting here because both Erik and I devoured and adored the first two Kingkiller series books and we are excitedly awaiting his third book to be published!!!

Unknown said...

Ouch. Thank your for the correction. I was a little sleep deprived this morning. I wanted to be 'Indignant'.