Where Do My Readers Come From?

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wednesday

Good morning folks. I am sorry that I missed you yesterday. I ended up driving myself to work because I had to pick up papers from the elections office. I am sure you believe me when I say that I would have rather ridden the train. It is not that the drive was bad. It actually went very smoothly but I like being able to write for you folks and I am not able to do that and drive at the same time.

I mentioned before that I like to listen to basically three different radio stations as I drive to the train station. One is National Public Radio (NPR), the other is Portlands progressive station whose numbers I am unable to remember and the third is Portlands conservative station that play Lars Larson and Rush Limbaugh and the like. So I was attempting to do just that as I was driving but it was a rough trip. NPR was and is doing there fund raising drive. It isn't that I dislike the fund raising because I understand the need for it but it is the fact that it seems to go on and on. So I switched over to the liberal station but that seemed to be all commercials. The funny thing is that both of those stations seemed to be playing the same commercials. Which surprised me. I would think the marketing would lend itself to a different audience but I guess I was mistaken.

So I switched to the conservative station and they were talking about what they would like to be able to see or record if they could go back in time with a camera. I found that the most interesting. They talked about going back and seeing dinosaurs and seeing if it was really a comet that wiped them out. A caller mentioned being in the Oval Office and seeing how much advance notice we really had about Pearl Harbor. I found that an interesting idea. Some one mentioned spending a day with Jesus and his disciples or with DaVinci or perhaps Mozart as they were creating something. There was another caller who wanted to find out who had grounded the planes on 9/11 but the announcers rightfully brushed that person off because it would not have been beneficial to get derailed into that discussion.

But, what I found most interesting was the person who mentioned returning to the moon and taking some new pictures with a color camera in high definition. I thought wow that would be pretty neat to see those pictures as opposed to the grainy black and white footage that we have now. But all that being said I am hoping for some interaction from my readers. So here we go. I would like you to list the 5 times or places that you would like to go back to and either take part in or just watch as a fly on the wall. They can be in any order of preference but just try for 5 please. To get us started here are mine.

1. The signing of the Declaration of Independence.
2. The joining of the transcontinental railroad.
3. Hitler in his bunker at the end. ( Just to see if he was crazy or not)
4. Do anything with Ben Franklin
5. The first Super Bowl win for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Those are mine folks for better or for worse. Please tell me yours.

6 comments:

JoelAT said...

You found it strange that the far left liberal station and NPR are playing the same commercials? Please Lance.

JoelAT said...

Oh and my 5 are.

1. The Flood, with Noah
2. Babe Ruth and his "Called shot" game.
3. Lewis and Clark seeing the Pacific for the first time.
4. Riding to America with the Vikings and meeting the indigenous population of North America
5. Hearing the Hallelujah Chorus for the first time with the King, standing in adoration of the glory of God in this musical creation.

Unknown said...

"You found it strange that the far left liberal station and NPR are playing the same commercials? Please Lance."

Ah I can see that I was not clear. I found it odd that both the liberal station and the conservative morning radio shows were playing some of the same commercials. NPR does not play commercials they just mention sponsors none of whom I have ever heard mention of on either station. I apologize for the confusion.

Good list those are some pretty big events.

JoelAT said...

OK that makes more sense, but then again points to the possibility that almost all political radio is really just theater, and the players are projecting the more ridiculous to draw larger ratings. Oh and did you see the roller derby at the Armory on Oct. 10th? I guess it was very well attended, and they are planning on kicking a league off here, to compete with the Seattle/Portland teams. I know way off topic, but I don't get to see you in person too much anymore.

Unknown said...

Hmmm... My top five....

1. Battle of Thermopylae.
2. The "Miracle on Ice" (1980 Winter Oly hockey, USA v USSR)
3. Battle of the Nile (1798 Adm Nelson v the whole of the French Navy)
4. New York City May 8th 1945
5. KRAKATOA!!!! (1883 from a distance)

The best I could think of this late in the day

Van Harvey said...

Interesting selections... assuming I could bum a ride on some of the other visits, then I'd pick:

1. Socrates actually buttonholing an Athenian, preferably with young Plato looking on, to see how it compared with the dialogs we have.
2. The original production of Hamlet, somewhere around 1601, with Shakespeare himself playing the Ghost of Hamlet's father.
3. Sitting with John Adams for James Otis's speech against the Writs of Assistance, February 24, 1761, which Adams cited as the stirring and true start of the American Revolution.
4. Gettysburg, PA, November 19, 1863, front and center for all the speeches.
5. The joining of the transcontinental railroad (my Grandma's Grandma was there - an interesting character which would make the event a twofer!).