Where Do My Readers Come From?

Friday, July 29, 2011

More Music Friday

Okay onward through the list. Today the artist in question is one of the great southern rock bands of the past. Now when I say that it probably brings two groups to mind either The Allman Brothers Band or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Well in this case it is the Allman brothers and a greatest hits compilation known as "20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of the Allman Brothers Band". I actually feel kind of bad that I do not have more of their stuff but what I do have I really enjoy.

One of my favorites is "Whipping Post". It is another of those songs that has an unforgettable guitar line.



One of their if not their biggest hits was "Ramblin' Man". I like how this one just flows along. But I also get a kick out of songs that tell stories.



The other one that I have to go with is "Jessica". It is just a great song.



This kind of music has kind of faded in popularity at least as far as radio play goes. I imagine that there are some bands out there still flying the southern rock flag but I just can't imagine that any of them can hold a candle to the Allman Brothers.

I guess I will throw up a classic Skynyrd song but really I do prefer the Allman Brothers

Here you go with a little "Sweet Home Alabama"

2 comments:

Christopher R Taylor said...

There were a bunch of these southern bands that had at least a few great songs like Outlaws, Molly Hatchet, Marshall Tucker Band, Little Feat, Ozark Mtn Daredevils, and Blackfoot. Some of them like Blackfoot only had one really good song ("Train, Train") but they were great. A mix of this stuff has a real 70s country hippie feel but great rock.

But yeah, the Allman Brothers were a cut above. They were just astoundingly good, incredible musicians who were doing things no one else had even attempted or thought of before. They created the sound, they perfected it, they were the standard everyone was measured against.

Steve said...

Yep, agreed, the Allmans were in a different category, although Little Feat was excellent as well. I've got a couple of old boots of Duane playing with the Dead at the Fillmore East (one with Peter Green!), seriously big ears on that guy.