Where Do My Readers Come From?

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cash on Sunday

I do not go to church. I used to go to church on a regular basis but that all changed several years ago. Now I have a group of people that I meet with and we discuss lts and lots of things ranging from the philosophical to the religious to the political to the scientific and all points in between. And as far as I am concerned that is good enough for me right now. I really only even miss one thing from the actual process of church and that is the worship music aspect of it. I realize that it is because of that I often find myself on what has always been considered a church day, like Sunday, I find myself listening to Johnny Cash. He is really the only performer who does some gospel now and then that I can really stand. So since it is a Sunday, lets listen to a little Johnny Cash.


Johnny Cash - Lead Me Gently Home Father

One of the many things that I like about Johnny was his transparency in terms of both his faith and his failing in life. I like that he was unafraid to sing both gospel songs as well as just plain secular songs in general.


Johnny Cash - The Ballad of Ira Hayes

He sang Americana classics as well as took modern rock songs and redefined their sound and their power. His final 5 albums the American Recordings series are just plain amazing and I have been able to listen to them again and again.


Johnny Cash - (Ghost) Riders in the Sky

It wasn't just his lyrics it was also the tone of his baritone and bass voice as well as that memorable chugging sound of the guitar. There is something about the whole package that appeals so much to me and often, for me, listening to him can make a bad day better.


Johnny Cash - I Will Rock and Roll With You


His music inspired so many modern day performers that I just do not have time to mention them all and without his legacy I really do think that modern day music would not be what it is today.



Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus

This version of the Depeche Mode song is amazing and one of my personal favorites. It also speak to me on a personal level. I know that when one talks about matters of faith it is easy to get caught up in the vocabulary of the faith and religion but for me this song is far bigger then that.


Johnny Cash - All Over Again

He also sang some great love songs. There was for sure a sappy side to his work but that is because I think he really was a romantic.


Johnny Cash - Dark As A Dungeon

Even his songs that are cautionary tales are still excellent to listen too.

I hope that I was able to give you some music of Johnny's that  you hadn't heard before. I leave you with this. I am working toward a "Satisfied Mind" and I hope I find it one day.


Johnny Cash - Satisfied Mind

Also remember this -


Johnny Cash liked cake. But, can you blame him? Cake is good. 

No comments: