Where Do My Readers Come From?

Friday, October 04, 2013

How About a Little Traffic

I have lately been listening to a band from the late 60's that I have really been enjoying. I think that probably the most famous name in the band is Steve Winwood. But the Steve Winwood that I was familiar with is not the Steve Winwood that I am listening to when I hear Traffic or Blind Faith. Some would argue that Eric Clapton is the more famous one and they may be right but for this exercise I am going to address the change in sound and musical stylings of Steve Winwood. So lets get it started with a little Blind Faith. He formed this band in 1969 with Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton along with Ric Grech. Though Clapton did not stay in the band very long.


Blind Faith - Can't Find My Way Home


Blind Faith - Well Alright

There was some upheaval after Clapton left and Winwood decided to reform the band Traffic with  Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason. There is some overlap and things are kind of muddled up so I may have things reversed as far as the timing goes. But, I don't really care. Just shut it and enjoy the music.


Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die



Traffic - Light Up or Leave Me Alone

I do not know if I can even adequately explain to you how much I love the sound of Traffic. I would go so far as to say that I like and enjoy both Blind Faith and Traffic more then I enjoy Cream and I probably enjoy Traffic most of all. There is just something about their sound that works for me.

But now that we have listened to what kind of music that Steve Winwood was putting out in the late 60's and early 70's I think you will really enjoy what he was putting out in the 80's.


Steve Winwood - Back In The High Life


Steve Winwood - Higher Love

Now, I have to be totally honest with you. I can barely stand Higher Love or Back In The High Life. I think they are horrible. They are very nearly unlistenable for me and I can listen to anything by Blind Faith and Traffic over and over again. So what do you think the problem is? Did my taste change in 5 minutes? Did Steve Winwood change? Did his talent go away? Or did he make a calculated effort to write and play songs that he knew would sell the most albums and garner him the most radio play? I do not know. The only thing I know is that I do not like his solo work at all. Those are my thoughts.

I hope you enjoyed Fridays musical musings and I hope that I helped you discover some music that was new to you. Now "light up or leave me alone"





No comments: