Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, January 25, 2010

1-25-10 (Monday)

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a good weekend. Mine wasn't anything special although I did purchase a new television and my good friend Joel came over and helped me get it set up. It wasn't all that complicated but it was easier to do with two people that is for sure. Now if things go well today I should be up and running on HD for both the Super Bowl and the Winter Olympics. I am looking forward to watching both of those particular sporting events. But, to be honest with out the Pittsburgh Steelers this years Super Bowl does not hold a lot of interest for me. I will be loosely rooting for the Colts to win but only because I think Peyton Manning is the best quarterback in the NFL today. He plays with such consistency and poise that it seems almost effortless for him. As far as the people who will say that Brett Favre is the best QB, I have to disagree on the grounds that he throws too many interceptions. He forces passes and it hurts his team as proven by the game yesterday. He threw one too many passes and I think it cost his team the game.

The close of voting is Tuesday night at 8pm for Oregons big tax bills. It is going to be interesting to see the end result of this. If they pass then taxes will go up on corporations from $10 a year to $150 and individuals making over $250,000 a year. If they do not pass then the state legislature will have to meet and decide where and how to cut some things and make the budget balance. That is going to be an interesting process. I think it is all going to come down to which pro or con groups had the best propaganda because right now you can't turn on the radio or the TV without hearing a commercial. I am personally torn on this one because I realize that we need taxes to pay for the services that we get from the state government it is also true that Oregon government is seriously bloated. This really seems like a lose, lose situation for both sides because I think either result is going to result in job loss for the state in one form or another. I hope I am wrong about that.

With that I leave you good folks, I hope you all have a good day and I will see you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Christopher R Taylor said...

Given the choice between higher taxes (particuarly during a recession and in a state harder hit than the nation on average) and cutting spending its obvious to even the simplest understanding which should take place. If the state spending is, as you very accurately point out, "bloated" then the only choice is to cut spending.

Basically it comes down to essential finances: what do you do when you're in debt? Demand more money from everyone around you or cut back on your spending? Its so painfully obvious I cannot understand why anyone would even attempt to argue another approach.

And to argue "well they never will cut spending so we have to have more taxes" is like saying "well little Billy will never stop stabbing his sister with a knife, so we got him a sharper one."

They never will stop spending more if you never cut off their supply. It's like bemoaning an addict who never will give up the smack so we should up his daily allowance. How idiotic can you get?

Unknown said...

I am going to assume you are asking how idiotic the state can get. :) I as we both know can get pretty idiotic or very idiotic depending on the subject. :)