Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, January 04, 2010

Happy New Year!!

Well, well, well. Here we are folks Jan 4th 2010. I think I am going to pronounce it "twenty-ten". I just like the way that sounds.

Lets see what is new for me this year or for this upcoming year. On the social and emotional level I will still be recovering from the divorce and hopefully that will involve copious amounts of controlled substances as well as strippers. I turned 40 so I figure why not go out in a blaze of drugs and alcohol and physical abuse.

I also purchased a blue tooth ear thing yesterday. I drive at minimum an hour or more a day and longer if I drive all the way to the office. I have held off from purchasing such a device for a while because I do not get that many phone calls in the car. But with the new law in Oregon making it illegal to talk or text while driving I figured I better get one just in case I do get a call. The fine is $174.00 which does not seem to excessive to me. The danger that talking and driving causes is, I believe, akin to that of the drunk driver. Now they put some exceptions in the law for those who use the their phone for work like tow truck drivers and delivery drivers but I am not sure why they did. Those folks can use a hands free device just like everyone else does and it is not hard to do.

All that aside I think this is going to be an interesting year. I think the paranoia will rise concerning 2012 and if that will mean the end of time. I think that the Conservatives will continue to follow Beck and Palin and their actions will make the political world an interesting one as we build toward the next Presidential election. I in fact am going to go ahead and put this out there. I do not think that President Obama is going to be elected to a second term. I think that the damage that the economy is in as well was what some people feel is his failure to follow through on his plans for 'change' because lets face it. It is still business as usual in Washington. So we will see but I would be surprised if he gets a second term.

So what about you fellers? Any thoughts for the new year?

3 comments:

Kent said...

The presidential election is still a ways away, despite people already positioning themselves. Bear in mind that four years ago the discussion was about the the outcome of a race between Clinton and Giuliani.

Unknown said...

That is a good point Kent, I had forgotten that Giuliani and Clinton were considered the Democratic front runners.

Van Harvey said...

"On the social and emotional level I will still be recovering from the divorce and hopefully that will involve copious amounts of controlled substances as well as strippers. I turned 40 so I figure why not go out in a blaze of drugs and alcohol and physical abuse."

Heh. Best of luck to you in that, I hope temporary, endeavor.

"I think that the Conservatives will continue to follow Beck and Palin and their actions will make the political world an interesting one as we build toward the next Presidential election."

Does anyone follow Beck? They like what he says, and since no one has bothered refuting it (not insulting it, refuting it), more and more people listen to what he has to say... but that's not the same as following. Behind the clownish behavior, he's been interesting to watch develop. Years ago, I'd catch him on the radio once in a long while, listen a moment or two and then switch to a Books on Tape. Then he began a couple years ago to dabble with some actual ideas and issues... got a bunch wrong... but it was a nice change and I'd listen for a few minutes before switching to CD. Over time, he's actually changed and corrected himself on a number of key issues, began to talk about the ideas and principles behind them and integrate them - not something seen in public figures too often.

So far he's only up to the "5,000 Year Leap" level, but what with as much of past performance being an indicator of future results as can be banked on, it's going to be interesting to see how far he gets.

Btw, I don't mean to pan the '5K Leap' it certainly isn't a bad place to be, and much of it should be the expected starting level of the general population... the fact that it is more of the high water mark for a few 'leading lights' of the general population says far more about the general population than the book. If Beck manages to get up to the level of Spalding's We Still Hold These Truths... and manages to bring large numbers of the population with him... 2010 & 2012 may be interesting years indeed.

"I in fact am going to go ahead and put this out there. I do not think that President Obama is going to be elected to a second term."

Yep, agreed. He's ticked off far too many of both sides to see him getting re-elected... of course that's from the vantage point of the beginning of 2010... sort of like guessing what the far side of the top of Mt. Everest looks like from the tourists scenic view bench at the bottom... but we'll see.

As far as Palin goes... well... it's another commentary on the general population, that all the best men in the republican party are women.