Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, January 18, 2010

Jan 18, 2010 (MLK Jr Day)

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King, Jr.


Good Morning folks, I hope you are all well today and had a nice weekend. I posted the quote above since today is MLK day and I am hoping to do something on the blog each day there is some sort of honoring of some one in America or maybe the world I am not sure. So most of the time I imagine it taking the shape of me posting a quote and then maybe a few thoughts about that quote but sometimes it may just be the quote. I am not fully committed either way yet.

That being said I do find today's quote pretty interesting to me on a purely personal level. I have been struggling with what faith means for a long time. I really feel that any thinking person has to struggle with this issue now and then. Even more so if you are at all religious in nature. The amount of mystery that goes with believing in a higher power makes faith a huge issue. At least I think it does. I would love to have the sheer confidence of the true believer or the sheer confidence of the hard core atheist.

I instead fall somewhere in the middle of the two camps and shift back and forth depending on the books I have read or where my emotions are, are any given time. I do not think this is a good thing or makes me better in some way or another then any body else it just is. Sometimes even when I can see the whole staircase I have a hard time believing it is real. So I am not sure what that actually means.

I am also not actually sure where I was going with this today. So I think I will stop there. Perhaps I will expand on this theme at a later date I am not sure. Anyway I hope you all have a good day and I hope to hear from you soon.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Faith is an interesting question: for one thing, how do you know it's the right staircase in the first place? For another, if it is the right staircase, how do you know now is the time to start climbing? And if now is the time and this is the place, how, exactly, does one start climbing? I have wrestled with this over the last several years in the sense of trusting God. I don't seem to have much trouble believing in God, but I tend to return to my worrying, perfectionistic roots rather than trusting God daily.

Unknown said...

Wow, thanks Jen, for throwing up more questions then I had thought of. haha I love it.