Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Grateful Dead, giving an old band a new look.

Tuesday morning, sitting at the coffee shop enjoying my Americano and watching the rain fall. I find these kinds of mornings pleasant. That being said, I am not sure if the rain and the darkness makes me more or less productive as far as the writing goes.

I am totally being distracted right now by the people around me. I think that has more to do with my attitude toward them then anything they are doing. Though I am frustrated by people who laugh super loud in public places. I suppose it is silly of me to be like that since I have a pretty loud laugh at times and I know people can pick it out in movie theaters. But for me, I think, the difference is that I choose not to laugh like that when I am sitting in a coffee shop at 6:30 in the morning. The place is basically empty except for me, and the two employees. But in the middle of the place is a group of 8 men who are having some early morning discipleship group. I suppose that is great for them. But, it feels like every two minutes or so, there is a break in the hum of their conversation, followed by this great surprising boom of laughter. I don't like it. I know the world doesn't revolve around me on an intellectual level. But I still find their behavior annoying.

A friend of mine, a man whose taste in many things I respect, recently turned me on to some of the live recordings of the Grateful Dead and as sit here writing and listening to some songs from "Europe '72" I am really, really digging it. I have never taken the time before to listen to them and I am starting to understand why they had such a big following. I do not really get the whole "Deadhead" thing. But as far as the music goes I really like it. As I am beginning to understand what I am listening to I am finding out that what is going on in the live performances is totally different then what was happening in the studio releases. I have heard it compared to a jazz concert and their being a flexibility to what they were playing on stage. There would be two shows back to back and the second show would sound nothing like the first show and in fact, the songs might sounds like nothing that was even on the album.

I am finding that, to sit and listen to a show in one sitting is a very nice experience and there is honestly not a lot that can compare to it in modern music. The only way I can explain it is to say that you can't just dip into it and listen to it like you do the radio. You have to engage with it and listen to it. I think if you really like music you will enjoy the experience. If you are a big fan of screamo or that kind of 'music' you are probably not going to enjoy listening to the 'Dead'.

I think the key is digging out and finding the live recordings of shows. Truly do yourself a favor and look up "Europe '72". If you give it a listen with an open mind. I do not think you will regret it. I know I have not.

No comments: