Where Do My Readers Come From?

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pink Floyd

I am sitting here drinking my coffee and listening to Pink Floyd, "The Final Cut" album. This is a band that I know a little about but not enough to really do them justice. I know that when I was in high school my awareness of them really only had come from their film "The Wall.


I watched this film at a friends house the summer of my 16th or 17th year and was not mentally prepared for the experience at all. Now I am proud to say that I own it and I enjoy watching it. But it isn't like I watch it as much as I put it in and then go about my day while listening to the noise of it and now and then checking out what is on the screen. I love it and I love that it was so disturbing for me.

But it occurs to me, as I sit here and listen to 'The Final Cut', that this album is probably as good and as disturbing or has the potential to be as disturbing as 'The Wall' was. I am slowly realizing as the music fills my headphones and washes over me, that I have really missed something by not giving this a full listen before. There is a somberness to it that fits perfectly this rainy and gloomy day. The wailing sax in 'The Gunner's Dream' seems almost to speak as it climbs up and down the scales and brings with it some real sadness about war and life and the damages that both things can cause.

The more I listen to this as well, the more I am becoming convinced that this is a band whose music should only be listened to with head phones on. I realize that I may be coming late to the party with this news. But, wow, there is a substantial difference with headphones and without them. Amazing. 


There it is. I would highly recommend giving it a listen if you have the time. I know I am not regretting it. 

3 comments:

brian said...

Truthfully, this isn't a Pink Floyd album; it's a Roger Waters-with-Pink Floyd-as-his-session band album. I don't even think they toured together to support it.

That said, I still dig it quite a bit.

brian said...

Also, The Final Cut was largely composed of songs that didn't make the cut for The Wall. In fact, some of TFC's music can be found in the film.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info. I honestly had no idea about the origins. But, that is usually the way it for me.