Where Do My Readers Come From?

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Late Night

I watch a lot of films or movies or whatever I happen to stumble across on Netflix or Amazon prime. It really just depends on the mood that I am in I suppose. There are times when I watch episode after episode of different television programs, sometimes they are documentaries or travel shows and sometimes they are cooking shows but the cooking shows tend to not be watched as often as the travel ones. It really just depends on what I have going on inside my brain.


This Is it - Kenny Loggins

Sometimes I wake up at 2:30 in the morning with a nasty case of heartburn and realize that sleep is going to be a fleeting thing. So I lay there in the dark for awhile. The thoughts come and go. They touch down in my brain like one of those water bugs and skitter away. I do not try to actively grab them. They land and leave again. Some leave more of a mark then others do but I am never sure what it is that is going to stick and leave it's mark. I just never know.


Whenever I Call You "Friend" - Kenny Loggins

Today I spent a lot of time. Some might say too much time. Thinking about film and music that exists within the films. I love music and I love when a film and a song can tie together so beautifully that you forget that you are watching a movie and you are just involved in the experience of the scene. Now some people call the video montage cheating in a film. But as far as I am concerned film is a visual medium and it is not an easy thing to pick a song that actually works in a montage. As I was pondering this today it occurred to me that a lot of the montages that I like are from films that were inspirational in the nature of the montage. It may be that this thought crossed my mind because I just watched both the original and the remake of "Footloose" this week. But, the thing is. I like these songs and these scenes but it isn't in an ironic way. I just plain like them.


Footloose - Kenny Loggins

I like the way everything fits together. In the case of Footloose and Kenny Loggins it is the final dance sequence that just works. It is supremely silly. I mean this is a prom filled with kids who have lived in a town for 5 to 6 years where there was no dancing. But, that does not stop them. When Ren storms back in and yells 'Let's dance!" and the magical glitter fills the air, these kids start to break it down and you start to believe that you can dance as well. You are transported for a moment out of yourself and you can really feel the power of the dance and fun that these kids are having. That is why I love film and the experience that amazing film can bring you. Sometimes it is just a scene. It is not the whole film. Footloose is a good example of that because really the film as a whole is not a very good one. But oh there are moments when it is transcendent.


Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins

There are bad montages in films as well there is no doubt about that. It can often be as simple as picking the wrong song or even the correct song but the actual scene itself just doesn't work or doesn't make any sense at all. One of my favorite slow motion montage scenes is in 'The Royal Tenenbaums' when Margo steps off of the green line bus to pick up Richie. The song is by Nico and it is one of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen.


These Days - Nico

It may be for me the whole impact of the film itself and I do believe that Wes Anderson is a master when it comes to doing this. He operates at a totally different level when it comes to doing this. There are no other directors that even come close to what he can achieve in just a few moments of film. I could fill several pages worth just about that. So good.


Top Gun Volleyball Scene

Now this would be a scene that just doesn't work. It is both unintentionally comic and in someways unintentionally homo-erotic, not that there is anything wrong with that. The whole film Top Gun is filled with bad montage sequences that are either action filled or romantic. It is pretty pathetic all things considered. In fact some might be willing to argue that this movie wrecked the whole idea of a montage. But I may be making to much of it. Though, can you blame me? I am a blogger and that is what bloggers do. I just choose to do it about music and film as opposed to politics or things that can really make me crazy.


Footloose - Dance scene warehouse

You go Ren, dance that anger out of you.


Hot Rod Dance Scene

Hmm a spoof or an homage? Either way, Hot Rod is an awesome film and you should watch it.

Thanks for listening to my ramble folks. I sometimes think of myself as spewing out a lot of mumbo jumbo but a very nice girl told me that no mumbo jumbo comes out of my mouth. I thought that was a nice thing to say. So I am going to choose to remember that and keep doing what I do. Have a good Sunday folks.



No comments: