Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday, Monday

Well, that was some weekend. I think when I mentioned some snow on Thursday I had no expectations of such a large amount of snow in such a short period of time. It was nice to see the weather service pretty much hit the nail right on the head as far as their forecasts went. I think people might have been happier if they had been wrong about this one. But I think that a lot of people probably were able to use the forced downtime for some much needed family time and rest. At least I want to hope that is what happened.


Masters of War - Amon Amarth

I like this band. That is today I like the musical and not the vocal styling of this band. I hate the heavy metal muppet voice. So bad. As far as I am concerned to sing like Grover is not musical and it detracts from the straight majestic power of the metal. 

Today the music is on random as usual but it is only going to be from artists that reside in the A category of the alphabet. So we shall see what this experiment brings us. I had a pretty quite weekend since I was stuck indoors the whole time. I am not complaining, mind you, the power stayed on and we have internet and cable television. So things could have been far far worse for me. So overall it was a very nice and quiet and drama free weekend.


Alice - Avril Lavigne

This is from the Tim Burton film 'Almost Alice'. I have never seen it or really heard the song before. It is a pretty typical example of the kind of music that she is putting out right now. Actually the kind of music that is the most mainstream right now. I am just waiting to hear a rap track from hot supposedly urban rapper. 

I watched several interesting films this weekend. Thanks to Amazon Prime and other internet services. I think the film that stood out the most for me was the 1999 film 'Mansfield Park'. It is based on the Jane Austen novel of the same name written in 1814. It was pretty typical of the Austen book world, a young woman and her issues with family and class and relationships. But what I found more interesting was the way that the film touched on issues of slavery and infidelity. The book of course touches much deeper on these but at the same time the film did a good job in it's short amount of time addressing these issues and how they affect Fanny and the rest of the family at the core of the story.


I Need You - America

Classic 70's rock and very nice to listen too. So put your feet up and relax. 

I also watched the Mike Meyers film from 1993 'So I Married an Axe Murderer' and it was just as I remembered. There are moment of laugh out loud humor. Things that are genuinely funny in there lunacy. But as a constructed whole it is not a very good movie at all. Now there is a certain generation of a certain age that are going to be able to quote lines from this film and most nearly everyone from this generation are going to recognize and enjoy those lines. But that is all that they are really going to remember from this film. If they are at all like me and I suspect that they are, their mind has blanked out all of the bad acting and the clunky dialogue and jokes. I loved Mike Meyers in 'Waynes World' but I just do not buy him in this as the romantic center piece. I know that he can act or used to be able to act. But in this film he doesn't do it very well and if you have seen the Austin Powers films then you can see him beginning to perfect his shtick. I give it barely 2 stars out of 4. It isn't a bad film to have on as background noise. But that is all.


Stand Back - The Allman Brother Band

I like this band a lot and this is a great song that showcases both the keyboard and the guitar work. Solid stuff. I always enjoy the jamminess of their sound. Never disappoints me at least their early stuff. 

I also started watch 'The Americans' and let me tell you. I really am enjoying it. Here is a description from Wikipedia

"Set during the Cold War period in the 1980s, The Americans is the story of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB officers posing as an American married couple in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. with their unsuspecting children (Holly Taylor and Keidrich Sellati), and their neighbor, Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich), an FBI Counter-Intelligence agent. The series focuses on the personal and professional lives of the Jennings', sometimes incorporating real-life events into the narrative. The show's creator has described the series as being ultimately about a marriage."

I had stayed away from watching it. I am not sure why. I think one reason was because I grew up in that era and I was not ready to relive a bunch of Cold War propaganda. But that being said. I was wrong and the show is more then that. It does help that the show was produced by a former CIA officer and the spy craft stuff is very interesting and fun to watch. I am not sure how it feels to someone who didn't live during that era but I really do enjoy it. I was surprised though at the amount of nudity in a FX series not called "Sons of Anarchy". But if you have some time and Amazon Prime do yourselves a favor and check this out. I think that you will enjoy it. I haven't finished the season but I have enjoyed it so far.


All My Life - America

If I had one complaint about this band. It is that some of their songs can be this kind of syrupy love song. Too much treacle as far as I am concerned and a little hard for me to swallow at times. But they still sound nice. This is a classic wedding video song. Or anniversary song. Maybe I am just cynical about the state of marriage and relationship in the modern era. But that is perhaps a topic best lest for another day. 

That is it folks. I hope to make an appearance at the coffeehouse today. It will be good to get out of the house. That is for sure. Have a good day and stay safe out there. You guys know the drill but I am going to say it again. Hug each other and love each other and remember our humanity and keep on dancing.


No comments: