Where Do My Readers Come From?

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patricks Day

Today is Saint Patrick's Day which has become the arguably the most important amateur drinking day of the year. It has transcended New Years Eve for a lot of the hardcore drinkers and seems to be holding off a hard charging Cinco de Mayo.

As far as I am concerned. I do not give a flying fig what some drunken, flute wielding, Papist, has to say. I am neither Irish, or Irish Catholic, or much of a drinker. I am not an Orange-men as some people like to claim on this day. Technically I suppose it is true that I was raised as a Protestant but I more and more do not care about the labels.

But, the most important thing for me is that while I am aware of my family's origins. My father's side is Scottish-English and my Mother's is Scandinavian. I often joke with my friends about being a Scotch-Viking. I was born in the United States of America, in the state of Oregon, in the county of Marion, in the city of Salem. And I had no control over that. It just happened! So for me to get all worked up about where my father's father came from or where my mother's mother is from I just have no desire to do it.

I suppose things might be different if I had been born and raised during a different time historically or perhaps in a place where Catholics and Protestant's were constantly fighting. But I was not. So I have no desire to get all twisted up about it or to fabricate a reason to celebrate something that I do not even care about. If I want to drink I will do so. If I do not want to I will not drink but I certainly do not need an excuse to drink. Just ask most of my friends.


So there you go folks. Day two of my trying to write everyday and I believe I may have insulted the Irish, Catholics, and I suppose Protestants as well. I think for me that is a pretty good day all things considered.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When we had an exchange student living with us for a year, she asked why Americans celebrate a holiday like St. Patrick's Day since we're not Ireland. I went into this explanation about all these inherited cultural identities we all have and the concept of 'the old country' etc. etc. It would have been easier just to tell her it was an excuse for people to drink. LOL