Where Do My Readers Come From?

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

3-17-2010 (Wednesday) St. Patrick's Day

Today is St Patrick's Day. A day some would argue is the biggest amateur drinking day of the year. Now some of you make be wondering who is St Patrick and why do we celebrate him.

Well...I do not know either and I am to lazy to look it up. I know there is something about the shamrock being a tool to explain the trinity to early non Christians and that the "wearing of the green" went from wearing a shamrock to wearing green so that some little hooligan on the schoolyard or in the office doesn't pinch you. I also am aware that for some Protestants this is a day where they put on orange instead of green. So if I wanted to follow that thread I could move into a rabbit hole about the "Troubles" in Ireland between the Catholics and the Protestants but having attempted to write one term paper on the subject and then picking a different topic I have no desire to do so again.

The history of St Patrick's Day aside it now appears to be mainly a day in America where people wear green and get really, really, drunk. Often there is a parade of some sort in the bigger eastern cities and I think in Chicago and Boston they may color the rivers green.

I do not think I will be going out this evening. Tomorrow is a work day and I do not like to work hungover. But I hope those of you who do have a good evening and a safe time. I will see you tomorrow.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

"so that some little hooligan on the schoolyard or in the office doesn't pinch you"

YOU were that Hooligan in the office today.

Unknown said...

OI! What happens at Vote Oregon stays at Vote Oregon.

Christopher Taylor said...

I think Cinco De Mayo is a close contender for the drinking title.

You know I hear about the pinching for not wearing green but I think I only got pinched once in my life for it (by a girl in school). I don't deliberately avoid wearing green I just don't have much in the color and usually don't remember the day.

By the way, Orange is the color of the Dutch monarchy, which used to be a bastion of reformation teaching.

Unknown said...

You know I recall hearing that about the Dutch. I just totally spaced it. Thanks for the reminder.