Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

3-30-2010 (Tuesday)

Tuesday morning and we are back at it. It looks like the rain has slowed down a little today and my drive to work was a little more relaxed. I heard some very interesting stories on the radio this morning.

The first was about a new coffee maker or coffee making machine being built in Seattle called Slayer and according to the report and what looks like info on their website it sells for a cool 18K. Yes you read that right. It cost $18 thousand. I really have no idea why it costs so much. I know of one person in my circle of friends who I think may have tried it. The only reason I think that is because he loves coffee and has tried lots of different kinds. So, I will see if I can prevail on him to join us in the comment section and let us know what or if the machine is worth the money.

The second thing that I heard was about cigarettes and Menthol. It seems that at some point either during the Obama administration or during the end of the Bush administration I do not recall the date. The federal government banned clove cigarettes. Now I know that some of my readers were alive when those were popular in the Salem area at least and I know of one or maybe two of you that actively smoked them. I remember that the kids that smoked cloves were always a little different then the rest of us. A little bit cooler and interested in different books and music then the rest of the herd. Well the ban on cloves came and went with out much of a stir. But, the attempted ban on Menthol cigarettes has not been so easy. One reason being that the market share of menthols is far greater then that of cloves. I do not smoke cigarettes any more and even when I did I would say I was not at all a regular smoker. I smoked an English brand called Export A. Well I was mistaken. It seems that the Export brand is actually made by a Japanese company and sold in Canada. Wow, who knew? But, I did smoke those for a little while but now I just smoke my pipe and even that I do not do very often. But, I love a good cup of coffee and a bowl of Vanilla Cavendish along with a book. But, I have not been able to partake of that lately. I may have to remedy that this evening I think.

That is all I really have today. I just found those stories interesting and I hope you did as well and maybe it will make you look up more information on them yourselves. I also am interested in seeing what type of advertising this blog post causes. I know my one about car insurance and health insurance caused car ads. I am wondering if this will cause coffee ads or perhaps some form of tobacco ad. We shall see.

3 comments:

Shakes McGee said...

It defaulted to the Google phone.

The ban on cigarettes was not limited to cloves, if I remember correctly. It covered all flavored cigarettes. Originally I believe it covered menthols as well but they couldn't get that to fly.

Unknown said...

You are correct, Shakes. They mentioned that in the piece about all the flavored cigarettes. It was just the cloves that really registered with me. The market share of Menethols were just to big and really marketed at and for African-Americans.

Steve said...

$18k is not extraordinarily high MSRP for a 3-group commercial espresso machine- you can drop considerably more than that on a good one. There are at least a couple of La Marzocco Mistrals I can think of in PDX including IIRC the Stumptown next to Kenny & Zukes, which start around $24k for a 3-group. That's without even considering what a highly-customized machine can set you back.

The Slayer may very well be a nice machine, but not necessarily a unique one. If I were in the business a big concern would be fast access to replacement parts and knowledgeable local techs, factors which could put the Slayer at a big disadvantage.