Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

The Violent Femmes...



I really, really like this band. I am not totally sure what it is about them as a whole and the only album of theirs that I own is the compilation one titled "Add it Up" which compiles their music from 1981 to 1993. Which is actually kind of lame of me now that I think about it.



There are a lot of people who feel that "Blister In The Sun" is their best song and don't get me wrong. I like that song quite a bit but I like "Gone Daddy Gone" even more. But for me the songs that I am most interested in and fascinated by are when the lead singer Gordon Gano became a Christian. There is almost an old time gospel feel to them and I really enjoy that kind of music.


Another song of theirs that I really enjoy is more of a classic 80's punk song called "Old Mother Reagan". The song seems dated now in 2013 but at the same time there is a certain energy and anger to it that still resonates with me today.


Their second album had a little bit of a twangy country feel to it. But, the first song on the album was called "County Death Song" and it for sure has an ironic feel to it. That being said I still think it is a good good song and it is obvious to me that someone in the Decemberists was inspired by this song when they wrote their big family murder ballad "The Rake's Song". That isn't a slam on The Decemberists by any means. I really, really like them and the live video I posted below is amazing.





I actually really enjoy listening to those two songs back to back. They just work well together. There is another song that for me just kind of transcends description and that is "Black Girls"


I can't fully explain it but the song just rollicks along and the drums are amazing. Their is just an upbeatness to the final part of this song that I really, really enjoy.

Thanks for joining me on this little musical journey through the Violent Femmes and please if their is a band that you think I should check out. Then please let me know about them in the comment section. I love learning about new bands. 

No comments: