Where Do My Readers Come From?

Friday, April 22, 2011

Film Friday April 22nd, 2011

Well what is going on in the world of film this week. I believe there are some remakes in the pipeline. (Big surprise there) One of these is a remake of the Arnold Schwarzenegger classic "Total Recall" . Now the original movie was loosely based on a Phillip K Dick short story called
"We Can Remember It for You Wholesale". But near as I can tell this new version that I believe will be starring Bryan Cranston and Colin Farrell. Is going to be nothing like either the original source material or the first film. In fact I do not think that it will even be set on Mars. Of course the short story was not set on Mars either.

There is going to be an American remake of the crazy Japanese film "Battle Royale" and I have to admit I am a little intrigued by this. I believe that there is no screenwriter or directer presently attached to it but I would love to see the people that were involved with "Kick Ass" take a swing at it. Please enjoy the trailer below.



So you can see why I might be intrigued by the potential for an American version of this film. Though most likely the studio will cast a bunch stars and then be afraid to fully commit to the carnage and that will just be total failure. But I can hope.

They are presently shooting the remake for "Conan the Barbarian" which I am not in favor of at all. This one is going back to the source writing for inspiration but if you have read the source material then you know that it doesn't really matter and that the original was actually pretty true to the source material.



It isn't that the original is some great piece of film making. I am just tired of remakes. At minimum there are thousands of books out there that could be made into films. Or what about original stories that writers come up with on their own, What ever happened to creativity in Hollywood? I know that part of the problem is that often people will go see crap and that is how a film like "Avatar" gets made. It was not original in any way shape or form yet people loved it. Well people are dumb.

I think that if you are looking for a new sword and sorcery type film then you would not go wrong to be looking at the Edgar Rice Burroughs books the Barsoom series whose main character was John Carter, Warlord of Mars.....Well ask and you shall receive Lance. I had know idea this was happening but at some point in 2012 it looks like there is going to be a film coming out called "John Carter of Mars" and Willem Dafoe is going to be involved in it. The director is Andrew Stanton who directed "WALL-E" and "Finding Nemo" and "A Bug's Life".

WOW!! I JUST WOW!! I am actually getting kind of excited about this news. It is a Pixar film but I think it is going to be live action. I feel like there is so much potential here and I am actually very excited about this. I am feeling hopeful about movies for the first time in a long time. But I am also aware that my tastes differ from others. I am just shocked I somehow missed this.

More news here. John Carter I am Lord of the Rings level excited about this.

No comments: