Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, April 04, 2011

April 4th Today in Music Monday History

I discovered some interesting tidbits about music and today in history. On April 4th in 1956 Elvis Presley played the first of two nights in San Diego at the San Diego Arena. The local police chief issued a statement saying that if Elvis returned and performed the same way he would be arrested for disorderly conduct. I find it a little humorous and kind of disturbing that compared to what is going on in concerts today Elvis seems so tame and harmless.



1964, The Beatles hold the top five spots on the US singles chart. 5: 'Please Please Me" 4: 'I Want To Hold Your Hand' 3: 'Roll Over Beethoven' 2: 'Love Me Do' 1: 'Can't Buy Me Love" as well as nine other singles on the chart. I have never really gotten into the Beatles. I just do not enjoy them. I am sure that makes me a bad person.



1970, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young are No.1 on the US album chart with 'Deja Vu'. Which is one of my favorite albums of all time and one that I can listen to almost anytime and I always enjoy it. This is my favorite song of this album.



1981, Styx is No. 1 on the US Album Chart with 'Paradise Theater'. This is another band that I have always enjoyed. I will admit that at times that enjoyment is ironic but I think that most of the time I just really enjoy their sound. This is a sweet little number about the scourge of the 80's. COCAINE!!! We just do not hear much about it anymore.



1991, Mariah Carey has the top spot on the US Album charts with the self named album. I almost hate to do this to you but you do not have to watch it. There are types of music that it is really hard for me to say something good about. This is one of those types.



2001, The No. 1 spot is held by Shaggy with the album titled 'Hotshot'. I had no idea that this was the number 1 album at the time and it has an interesting cover of the song 'Angel of the Morning' by Juice Newton



This is the original. I think I prefer her version better. I am just enough of a fancy lad to admit it without that bothering me.



2011, The top spot on the US Album Chart is held by someone that I frankly have never heard of. Her name is Adele and I believe the album is called '21'. I had not realized that I was so out of touch with the hot jams. But I have to say that after listening to the first single off of the album. The song is called 'Rolling in the Deep'. I think I really dig it. The lady has some serious pipes and I like the drumming and the backing vocals in the song as well. She also does not look like the typical pop singer and I like that as well.



That is your Music Monday for today this April 4th. I hope you enjoyed our look back at the charts and enjoyed listening and viewing some of the videos. As always please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section.

3 comments:

Erin said...

my thoughts are that you probably are a bad person for not liking the Beatles....
in my very humble opinion.

Unknown said...

I find it hard to believe that your thoughts are humble...:)

JoelAT said...

The Beatles are the most over-rated, most over-loved band in the existence of mankind. The last video is interesting for two reasons for me. One, the girl would never have won on American Idol, she doesn't fit the cookie cutter mold of the krep that the music industry is trying to pump out. And two she is reminiscent of some of the interesting "indie" bands of the 90's. She is a very good singer indeed, and the music fits perfectly. I liked it, thank you Lance.