Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, April 18, 2011

MUSIC MONDAY April 18th 2011

Today is Sad Music Monday. I am not feeling particularly sad but I love a song that makes me kind of melancholy. So if this does make you depressed I apologize but just enjoy the lovely music.



I just like Adele the more I hear here the more I like her. So good.

Now on to business as usual. Today in music history April 18th the UK edition.

1953, Frankie Laine No. 1 in the UK with 'I Believe'



This was an interesting song. It was not what I think of when I think of music from the fifties. It almost seemed like a hymn. It was on the charts in the UK at No. 1 for 9 weeks.

1963, Gerry and the Pacemakers: No. 1 with 'How Do You Do it?' for 2 weeks.



I really enjoy this era of music. There is just something about it that brings a smile to my face.

1972, (Bonus Track) Royal Scots Dragoon Guards 'Amazing Grace'



Just a great, great song and on bagpipes one of my favorites of all time.

1973, Gilbert O'Sullivan at No. 1 with 'Get Down'



Wow!! I...this is so much like the Osmonds I am a little stunned and the way he looks on the album cover is just amazing. I actually really enjoy it.

1983, David Bowie at No. 1 with 'Let's Dance'



Anyone who knows me. They know how much I love David Bowie and really this song is no exception. I think it is nearly perfect as far as 80's dance pop goes. One of my all time favorites.

1993, Bluebells at No. 1 with 'Young at Heart'



Well, this was honestly not what I was expecting for 1993. I am not impressed.

2003, Room 5 Feat. Oliver Cheatham at No. 1 with 'Make Luv'



I just ugh. So, so, bad.

2011, Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull at No. 1 with 'On The Floor'



Sometimes music just makes me want to cut my throat. Why are people even buying this? It is just such bad, bad music and I hesitate to even call it music. It is being run through so many computers and so many drum loops and multiple auto tuners that any resemblance to actual music is completely missing.

So as a pallet cleanser I bring you the latest from the Decemberists 'This Is Why We Fight'



This is good music. This is why I listen to music. This is why music touches my heart and my soul. There is real depth and feeling to this. If the music that you are listening to doesn't impact you then why are you bothering to even listen to it. It is just a waste of your time and you are encouraging the industry to continue to create crap. So please just go away.

3 comments:

JoelAT said...

I was unaware that Frankie Lane, or J-Lo were from the UK. I think you can see the progression of music from the 50's through the modern era and understand that the music machine has destroyed any good music, as far as popularity goes.

Unknown said...

It seems that even in the 50's music was international. I will check the American charts for the same week and see if there is a difference.

You can totally see how the music machine wiped out good music that is for sure.

JoelAT said...

Well call me an imbecile and slap me silly. I misread your post and assumed you were posting ll UK individuals not the UK chart.