Where Do My Readers Come From?

Friday, April 08, 2011

Film Friday For April 8, 2011

The number one film in America today is a little CGI film called 'Hop'. I really know nothing about it. I did not find the trailer for it all that amusing. But I guess it is working as a kids movie. Maybe this is a good time of year for kids films? Lets hop into...(That was not intended) Lets climb into the time machine and find out.

April 8, 1982: Porky's Rated R
April 8, 1983: Tootsie. Rated PG
April 8, 1984: Police Academy. Rated R
April 8, 1985: Police Academy 2: Their First Assignment. Rated PG13
April 8, 1986: Police Academy 3: Back in Training. Rated PG
April 8, 1987: Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol. Rated PG
April 8, 1988: Beetlejuice. Rated PG
April 8, 1989: Major League. Rated R
April 8, 1990: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Rated PG
April 8, 1991: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II. Rated PG
April 8, 1992: Basic Instinct. Rated R
April 8, 1993: Cop and a Half. Rated PG
April 8, 1994: D2: The Mighty Ducks. Rated PG
April 8, 1995: Bad Boys. Rated R
April 8, 1996: Primal Fear. Rated R
April 8, 1997: Liar Liar. Rated PG13
April 8, 1998: Lost in Space. Rated PG13
April 8, 1999: The Matrix. Rated R
April 8, 2000: Rules of Engagement. Rated R
April 8, 2001: Spy Kids. Rated PG
April 8, 2002: Panic Room. Rated R
April 8, 2003: Phone Booth. Rated R
April 8, 2004: Hellboy. Rated R
April 8, 2005: Sahara. Rated. PG13
April 8, 2006: Ice Age 2: The Meltdown. Rated PG
April 8, 2007: Blades of Glory. Rated PG
April 8, 2008: 21. Rated R
April 8, 2009: Fast and Furious. Rated PG13
April 8, 2010: Clash of the Titans. Rated PG13
April 8, 2011: Hop. Rated PG

So there you are. Now I realize that this is a pretty long and some of you might find it boring list. I actually found it kind of fascinating. I have seen every movie on this list except for two of them. I will give out bonus points to a reader who can guess which two in the comments list. I will also give out bonus points if anyone can tell what movie on this list I think is the best one.

But back to what I found interesting. This list has 30 films on it. Of that 30 there are 0 films rated G. There are 11 films rated PG. There are 6 films rated PG13. Which leaves us with 12 films rated R. So the films are pretty equally spread out amongst the different ratings possibilities.

I was actually surprised by the number of sequels on this list. The four year run of Police Academy films actually made me a little ill. These are not good movies. I mean I think it is almost impossible to find a way to enjoy them ironically. I want to punch 14 yr old Lance in the face for having enjoyed them. If I could go back in time I would meet myself at the Hollywood Video and just slap the VHS tape out of my hand and then I would hit myself right between the eyes. Here is the trailer.



They made four more of these films and the other were not even rated R. The lousy script and acting aside. It doesn't even look like it was filmed by professionals. I am amazed at how bad it looks. Would you like to know how much money it made? It was in the theaters for 14 weeks and grossed $77,743,244. That is in domestic dollars people!!!! The actual domestic total gross which is calculated differently then the other was $81,198,894. So it is not a surprise that they made several sequels. How many you ask?

There have been seven!!! That is right seven!!! The total amount of money made for these and I am sure it is still rising with DVD and cable showings is $239,643,235. They made seven of these films in ten years. So think about that when you wonder why Hollywood continues to make crappy movies. We as consumers encourage it by going to see them. Though I wonder if the internet as it exists today existed back then if this movie would have made as much money. I do not think it would have.

2 comments:

JoelAT said...

Hop, and Sahara. I bet you thought that Blades of Glory was the best.

Sherry said...

Hop and Cop and a Half. Bettlejuice is your favorite...or maybe my favorite? Joel may be right with Blades of Glory.