Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

It's A Wild & Wanton Tuesday


So I imagine most of us are familiar with 'Pride and Prejudice' at least in book form or in film. It has been around in one form or the other since 1813. That is pretty amazing and it really shows the overall staying quality of the storytelling. That being said the picture that I have shown above in a newer edition of the story that was recently shown to me by my snarky friend Grant. Well not shown to me because why would he have purchased such a piece of contrived crap. But, he posted a picture of it on his Facebook in what I am sure was an effort to upset me. Well it worked.

This is a version of 'Pride and Prejudice' that has hot, hot, sex added to it. I am not sure because I have not actually read this version. It isn't that I am a prude and believe me I have no problem with people reading romance novels. Their is a fine tradition of erotica in literature. The written word has been around a long time and far longer then film or photography. But why in the world do you need, does anyone need to take a classic novel and sex it up.

This is the blurb on the back cover

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife . . . in bed. Unfortunately, we've never been able to see Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam in flagrante delicto—until now.

In this deliciously naughty updating of the beloved classic, you can peek behind the closed doors of Pemberley's sexiest master bedroom—and revel in the sexual delights of your favorite couple.

From first kiss to orgasmic finish, this book is every Austen fan's dream come true—the story you love, with the heat turned up to high. It will come as no surprise that the dashing Mr. Darcy is as passionate and intense with his knickers off as he is with them on. And admit it, we've all wanted to see him sans knickers!"


You can almost feel the wink, wink, oh aren't we bad, nature of this writing. I do not know how many of this version they sold. The reviews of it on Amazon are a mix of single stars and a few 5 stars. But that really means nothing as to if a book is good or not.

I will freely admit to being a little bit of a book snob. But I am not nearly as bad as a few people I know. That being sad I am bothered when modern writers take a classic novel of any sort and try to "Enhance" it.

COME UP WITH YOUR OWN IDEAS YOU TALENTLESS HACKS!!!!!!!!

What you are doing is not clever. It is not clever when you add zombies to it or space aliens or anything else. If you want to write a book about zombies write a book about zombies. If you want to write erotica then write some erotica. What these other versions are is just bound and printed versions of the horrible fanfiction that is all over the internet. Believe me if you want your mind blown go ahead and take some time to read some of those "Enhanced" stories. Trust me when I tell you that you may never see some of your beloved entertainment characters the same way again.

1 comment:

Sherry said...

I'm sure you won't be surprised that I agree with your opinions. Our friend Wade reminded me that this is simuiar to what is being done with adding zombies to classic literature as well. Stay tuned next for zombie love stories inserted into your classic favorites.