Where Do My Readers Come From?

Friday, June 17, 2011

Film Friday

Today is Film Friday and as most of you know. I do not like remakes. But since I woke up a little early I was stumbling around my Netflix account and I noticed the remake of "Bad News Bears". On most other days this would have made my hackles rise but for some reason. The idea intrigued me. I love the original but what made this stand out for me was that the remake was made by Richard Linklater, who also directed "Dazed and Confused" and "School of Rock", two of the films that I most enjoy and enjoy rewatching. So I thought I would give this one a shot.

Just for comparisons sake and for those of you that haven't seen either of these here are the trailers for both the original and the remake.



Okay I am just going to post the trailer for the remake as I am unable to find the original trailer anywhere. I am a little sad that the internet failed me. I had just assumed that the original trailer would be on YouTube. I mean, everything else seems to be. What is even stranger to me is that the original seems to be available on YouTube in 10 different parts. So I just do not get it.

But back to the matter at hand. I am not sure if it is nostalgia speaking or what. But, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't great there was something about it. The way that the director used music and film effects along with Billy Bob Thorton as Buttermaker made me laugh and smile quite a bit. I realize that what I am doing is not giving you guys a sterling review or anything like that. But I think that is the nature of Netflix. I pay so little each month for basically an unlimited amount of movies that my standards have dropped a bit. I do not think that is a bad thing and when I do see a movie in a theater I do expect a little more. As one of my friends reminded me a couple of weeks ago I have started reviewing movies based more on the amount I paid to watch it as opposed to the quality inherent in the film making.

I think I enjoy this better then how I used to be when I would sniff and look down my nose at whatever film I was watching. Or God forbid what mainstream popular culture is watching. Maybe I am just getting old.

1 comment:

Christopher R Taylor said...

The thing is, the cost has to play into it. I mean, I'll eat an old beat up apple with scuffs in it off a tree for free but I'd never pay for one like that. If a movie is only a buck I will be a lot easier on it than one that costs me ten, because I think value has to be factored in: was this movie worth what they charged me?