Where Do My Readers Come From?

Monday, June 20, 2011

Music Monday: Rock Operas

I love music. I love music far more then most of my friends realize though there are some who do know how much I love to listen to music and the way in which good music affects me. One of the types of music I love is that of a concept album or in some cases a rock opera. Now I realize that there are some people who would contend that the whole idea of a rock opera is just silly and that most if not all rock operas are shite. I disagree and I am here to shed some light on the rock operas or concept albums that are my favorites of the genre.



One of my favorite all time albums is from 1972 and David Bowies "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars". This is an album that has no weak songs on it. I think every song could have been a top single. True David Bowie is a freak but he was an incredibly talented freak and when people get all worked up about Lady Gaga I just think take a look at Ziggy Stardust and you will see and hear something truly amazing. This album is in my top 10 of all time albums regardless of genre.



OMG!!!! I love this band The Decembrists and this album "The Hazards of Love" so much. I can't say enough about how amazing this concept album is.
How could you ever pass up such an amazing story and an album that is filled with mind blowing music. If you need to hear the whole thing please let me know and I will do what I can to get you a copy.



I could go on and on about both The Who and "Quadrophenia" the album that basically blew the mind of a young high school lad. This album and film probably affected me more then anything in my life until "Fight Club" came along. This is another album that is in my top 10 regardless of genre. I do not believe that there is a weak song on this one either. I also feel that this album in it's entirety is far better album then The Who's Tommy.



Willie Nelson and The Red Headed Stranger pretty much speak for themselves. This is an album that is perfect for grabbing a pipeful of longbottom leaf leaning back and closing your eyes and giving this a listen.

And finally, for my buddy Shane I need to give him the genius that is Genesis and a track from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. I know Shane is a big, big fan of Genesis.




Well there you have it folks. Those are some of what I feel are the best Rock Operas or concept albums ever. I am sure there are others out there but these are the ones that I enjoy. (I purposely left out Pink Floyd and The Wall)

Wait! Wait! Wait! I couldn't just leave without giving you a taste of The Avett Brothers (pronounce it how you want) and their concept album "Mignonette" about some English Sailors and how they eat a shipmate.

4 comments:

Levi said...

http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Hazards+Of+Love/3382045

Unknown said...

Thanks Levi, please folks use that link and check it out.

Christopher R Taylor said...

I liked the Red Headed stranger quite a bit, that's a pretty fun movie. Willie Nelson does a good job as an actor, but I suppose the talent base crosses over well for comedians and musicians.

Sherry said...

Yes to the Decemberists!