Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Television Tuesday

Well I had some time this last week and thanks the nice folks at Netflix and the amazing technologies that are available to us in this amazing world we live in I was able to stream the television show Parks and Recreation while I was doing job searches and other things related to that.


When the show first came on the air I admit to being a little skeptical. It was billed as basically I felt just another knockoff of "The Office". It was filmed in documentary style and characters are aware of the camera and break the fourth wall every once in awhile. But it has grown beyond that. Granted there were some rough spots in that first season. No show hits the ground running and never makes a mistake but one of the few things that NBC does well is to give a show a chance to develop itself and to get a fan base.

The characters on the show have grown with the show and as the show moves into its fourth season I am really expecting it to shine. I realize that the show may not be something that everyone enjoys but I just really get a kick out of it. One of the characters on the show is a gentleman by the name of Ron Swanson is fast becoming one of my favorite characters in television. He is a Libertarian who works in city government. At one point during the first season he says this about government:

Ron: My idea of a perfect government is one guy who sits in a small room at a desk, and the only thing he's allowed to decide is who to nuke. The man is chosen based on some kind of IQ test, and maybe also a physical tournament, like a decathlon. And women are brought to him, maybe...when he desires them.



Watch the show, it is awesome.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Mr. Veen loves this show! I've watched a little bit and thought what I saw was pretty funny - but I love Amy Poehler and Rashida Jones.

Sherry said...

We just started watching this as well (thank you Netflix) and I LOVE it! I see myself a tiny bit in one of the characters...guess who?