Where Do My Readers Come From?

Thursday, September 01, 2011

More Music (The Chieftains)

The Chieftains are a band that I have been a fan of for a long time. I only have one album partly because their musical catalog is just so extensive. The album I have is The Long Black Veil. I am not sure that there is a weak song on it. They have some older traditional Irish ballads as well as some country songs that have come out of the traditions of the Irish. The most noticeable one for me being "Tennessee Waltz". I am not going to get deep into the band's history but The Chieftains have been around for 40 years and in that time have released some 40 albums counting live ones but appeared on several other albums that are compilations. The Long Black Veil has several guest singers on it some of the biggest artists in the music world, such as Sting, Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones, Sinéad O' Connor, Van Morrison, Tom Jones, Marianne Faithfull, Ry Cooder and Mark Knopfler. It really is an amazing album and one of my favorites of any genre. Lets get to the music shall we.


Now, I am not a huge fan of the Rolling Stones or Mick Jagger but he does an amazing job in this one. This is just an amazing song about love and pain and regret. The title track of the album. "The Long Black Veil"





The next song is one that Sting did the vocals for. Called "Mo Ghile Mear" and big surprise it is another nice song.



This one is the one that Sinead O'Conner sings on. "The Foggy Dew" this is a haunting number and is about the Easter Uprising of 1916. A sad song but it was a sad time to be an Irishmen.



That is it for today. I hope you folks enjoyed your trip to Ireland.

No comments: