Where Do My Readers Come From?

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

More Music (Black Grape)

Well this is an interesting band. The band was called Black Grape and the album is called It's Great When You're Straight... Yeah and was released in 1995 and promptly went to number 1 on the UK charts. The title of the album is a reference to drug use because one of the founding members, Shaun Ryder, had just had a band called Happy Mondays fall apart basically due to his drug addictions.

I honestly can't remember how I discovered them. I enjoy them but their sound is really a quirky one and not for everybody. While they received critical and some commercial acclaim in the UK they were pretty much ignored in the US. They released a second album in 1997 called Stupid Stupid Stupid which went to 11 in the UK but they broke up after that.

This is their first single which went to number 9 in the UK. "Reverend Black Grape".




The second single which I actually enjoy a lot is called "In the Name of the Father" which went to number 11.



This last one is called "Kelly's Heroes" and only made it to number 17 on the charts. I do enjoy the way the lyrics flow in it.



I have been enjoying going through my collection and I like coming across artists that I do not listen too as much as I did in the past. I always have felt that my musical taste was pretty eclectic and now I have confirmed it. I am sure as I get further down the list there will be even more surprises.

No comments: